Saturday, November 27, 2010

Unity: Epic As Predicted


So nearly a decade after the purchase of my 2001 Burton Dragon snowboard, bent edges, huge gouges out of my re-surfaced base, I decided it was time to get a new board. The two brands I considered were Never Summer and Unity. If you don't know, both are Colorado snowboard companies. After a lot of frustrated thinking, comparing, review-searching and a little bit of dumb luck over Craigslist, I finally settled on a 2009/2010 Unity Origin.

The Origin is a true twin, traditional camber park/pipe board. I have heard a lot of hype about reverse camber, rocker boards, v-wing, etc., and I'm sure they are pretty damn nice, but to be honest, I find nothing wrong with a good old fashioned camber board. I can still tail press fine, it's poppy as hell, and stable too.

As far as the features of the board, it is super flexible, light-weight and dare I say looks epic. The only downside is that I think the edges are de-tuned because it is not quite as responsive as I would hope, and handles a little poorly one ice conditions. This is not a problem because I have been riding long enough I can compensate for any difference, but it may not be the best choice for beginners to the sport.

Maybe I am just comparing to a Burton model from a long time ago, but this board lived up to my expectations and then some. Colorado home grown snowboarding ftw!

No comments: