Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Wildstar

Poor Wildstar. A delicious MMO undercut by some bad luck and doomed to be released in the same century as World of Warcraft. I recently started playing it again, hopeful that somehow me, little old me, by sheer willpower alone could help revitalize the community. I started leveling a character again, and in light of never being able to get into a dungeon queue, I logged on to my Warrior (or whatever the hell the big sword wielding smashy class is) who, before quitting years ago, had a burgeoning tank set. I queued for an instance and it popped. The other 4 members of the group started running off somewhere they clearly already knew, and I followed suit, while adding "Hey guys, I haven't played in quite some time, so let me know what I need to be doing). At the time, and don't ask me how, I didn't have a pair of gloves, but other than that, had mostly epics, and gear specific to tanking. But despite me assuring them that I wasn't a noob, and that I'd do just fine without a pair of gloves, they did nothing but bitch and moan about my gear, and refused to just point me in the right direction and help. And now, I know the game is doomed. It would be one thing if it were going through a rough patch, but this sentiment was not unique among this group. If you have tons of people queueing for instances, you can become accustomed to having things be just so. But in a game where there are already few players queueing for random groups, it does no good to push players away. It won't magically cause more skilled players to just show up out of the blue, and it won't encourage players to gear up, learn instances, and want to engage THEIR friends in the game. This has nothing to do with the company that makes Wildstar, but more a self defeating attitude of its players. Refusing to change their attitudes and work to better the community rather than simply complaining as the titanic goes down.

No comments: