Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Follow your dreams and stuff

Well, I've been programming SQL Server now for the eons that is 4 months, and I gotta say, I've never been happier in my life. For a while after college, I sort of had a fear that I would end up doing something like recruiting for the rest of my life, grinding my teeth through each agonizing second of something I didn't love. Honestly, I got to the point that I was so frightened by the possibility of not loving what I did, that I started really exploring what it was that I wanted to do.

It turns out it had absolutely nothing to do with my degree. I know this is hardly news to the world at large, but apparently school doesn't dictate what you do with your life (or maybe it does, just in that it steers you away from what you went to school for...).

The point is, I took it upon myself to pick up books, subscribe to training websites, write programs and databases, come up with projects and most importantly, actually apply for jobs. It can be easy to feel trapped in a certain flow of life, but it's refreshing to know that hard work and dedication can actually pay off.

No comments: